Dr. Shatarupa Dey
Assistant Professor Geography Department
I am working as Assistant Professor in the Department of Geography at Sarojini Naidu College for Women since May 2017. Previously I served as Govt-aided Contractual Teacher in Post Graduate Department of Geography at Rastraguru Surendranath College, Barrackpore for Eight Years. My teaching experience till now is twelve years. I completed my M.Sc from Presidency College and Doctoral Degree from the University of Calcutta. I am the visiting faculty in the Post Graduate Dept of Geography of Lady Brabourne College, Madhyamgram Vivekananda College, and Rabindra Bharati University. I have guided more than ten students in their Post Graduate Dissertation.
My speciaisation is Popuation Studies and Welfare Geography.
- Lead Investigator of UGC Sponsored Minor Research Project on “Characterization of Intra-District Disparities in Health Sector of Nadia District, West Bengal’’ PSW-107/12-13. (Completed)
- Research Associate of ICSSR Major Research Project on “Measurement and Evaluation of Primary Healthcare Facility System in West Bengal.” F.No.- 02/230/SC/2016-17/ RP Dated 29.3.2017 Indian Council of Social Science Research, Ministry of Human Resource Development (completed)
- Currently interested in Rural Studies, Application of Statistics in Geography, Developmental Geography, Migration Studies.
Currently, I am teaching the following courses:
- Geo Tectonics
- Statistical Techniques in Geography
- Soil and Bio geography
- Research Methodology
- Map Projection
- Economic Geography
- Political Geography
- 2021- Share of Community Participation Component in Inequality of Primary Healthcare in West Bengal, India, Khoj-A peer Reviewed International Journal in Geography, Vol 7 (Accepted and Communicated).
- 2018- Assessment of Primary Healthcare Facilities in West Bengal, International Journal of Research in Geography, Vol 4(2), ISSN 24548685.
- 2018- An Assessment in Light of ASHA in Khargram Block of Murshidabad, West Bengal, Chapter in Edited Book on Perspectives on West Bengal Economy, Palmview Publishers.
- 2017- Operationalization and Evaluation of Community Participation within Primary Healthcare System in West Bengal in Journal of Business and Economic Issues Vol7(1), ISSN 0974-9144.
- 2015- ‘Spatial Depiction of Variability in Healthcare Facilities and Health achievements in Murshidabud District, West Bengal’, International Journal of Scientific Research Vol-4 -12 Issue, ISSN No. 2277-8179
- 2014-‘Growth and Gap in Child Health Achievements: Estimates from West Bengal’, The Indian Journal of Spatial Science, Vol5-1 Summer Issue, ISSN 2249-3921, EISSN 2249-4316.
- 2013‘Role of Haringhata Dairy Farm in Livelihood Security of Local Community in Haringhata Block,Nadia,West Bengal’, in Edited Volume, ISBN978-81-928047-2-9
- 2013-‘Deprivation of Women Migrants: A Case Study of Titagarh Municipality, North 24 Parganas, West Bengal’ in Indian Journal of Applied ResearchVol3-10, ISSN 2249-555X
- 2012-‘Linkage Between Poverty, Livelihood and Environment: Evidences from Borabaribara Santhal Village, Garhbeta II Block, West Medinipur’ in Journal of Business and Economic Issues, Vol4-1,ISSN 0974-9144.
- 2010-‘Social Audit: An Emerging Tool in Research’ in Proceedings of UGC Sponsored National Level Conference of Sociological Association of India, ISBN 978-81-921808-1-6
- 2021-Covidity and the changing Status of ASHAs from Activist to Frontline Workers: Evidences from Murshidabad, West Bengal, Book Chapter in Edited Volume -Covid-19 Pandemic, A Geo-Ecological Perspective. (Accepted and communicated)
- 2012-‘Spatial Analysis of Health Issues and Challenges: Exploring Through West Bengal’ in Edited Vol, ISBN 978-81-921808-3-0.
- Acted as H.O.D of Geography Department
- Member of NIRF Committee,Infrastructural Committee, Journal and Publication Committee, Cultural Committee
- 2021-Co-Chair of Technical Session XIII in National Conference on Climate Change and Pathways to Self-Reliant India: Opportunities and Challenges for Sustainable Development” at Dept of Geography, Jamia Milia Islamia University, New Delhi.
- 2021-Moderator and Paper Setter in West Bengal State University.
- 2020-Acted as the Reviewer of a Research article in GeoJournal ( Springer)
- 2020-Paper Setter of Rabindra Bharati University and West Bengal State University.
- 2020-Programme Coordinator of International Seminar organized by Foundation of Practising Geographers.
- 2020-Editor of Edited Volume on Covid-19 A Geo Ecological Perspective.
- 2020-Acted as Member of Organising Committee of International Webinar on Intellectual Property Rights and Research Publications Organised by IQAC, Sarojini Naidu College for Women.
- 2018-Invited Speaker in Delhi Public School Rajarhat
- 2017-External Examiner of Dept of Geography, Bhairab Ganguly College.
- 2011-2016 Exam Co-Ordinator in Post Graduate Dept of Geography, Barrackpore Rastraguru Surendranath College.
- .Teaching Excellence Award 2019 felicitation by International Benevolent Research Foundation, Kolkata.
- .Best Paper Presentation Award 2018 in International Conference on “Operationalization and Evaluation of Community Empowerment within Primary Healthcare System: A case study of Khargram Block, Murshidabad, West Bengal organized by Bangladesh agricultural extension Society (BAES) and Rural development academy (RDA), Bogra, Bangladesh.
- 2020-Presented Paper in International Conference on “Extent of Inclusivity of ASHA Workers in Public Health Sector: Pre and Post Covid Scenario in Murshidabad, West Bengal” Organised by Department of Geography, Jamia Milia Islamia (UGC DRS-SAP-I and DST-FIST Supported).
- 2020-Presented paper in International Conference on “Covidity and the changing Status of ASHAs from Activist to Frontline Workers: Evidences from Murshidabad, West Bengal” Organized by Foundation of Practising Geographers, Kolkata.
- 2019-Presented paper on “ Degradation and Management of Wetland Resources- A Case study of Haringhata Block, Nadia District, West Bengal” at 39th International Congress on new Age Cartography and Geospatial Technology in Digital India, Organized by Survey of India, Dept of science and Technology
- 2018-Presented paper in International Conference on “Operationalization and Evaluation of Community Empowerment within Primary Healthcare System: A case study of Khargram Block, Murshidabad, West Bengal organized by Bangladesh agricultural extension Society (BAES) and Rural development academy (RDA), Bogra, Bangladesh.
- 2017-Presented paper in National Seminar of Foundation of Practicing Geographers on Role of Primary Healthcare Services in Capacity Building of Community Health workers in Khargram Block24-25 Jan
- 2017-Presented paper in International Seminar and 48th Regional Science Conference on Healthcare through Community Participation: An Assessment of Role of Accredited Social Health activist in Khargram block of Murshidabud District on 5-7 Jan
- 2016-Presented Paper in National seminar of Foundation of practicing Geographers on Locational Impact of medical institutions on Healthcare Utilization: A Case study of Murshidabud District on 26-27 February.
- 2016-Presented paper in International Seminar and Urbanization and regional Sustainability on Community participation on primary Healthcare system: An Approach to Participatory planning in West Bengal 0n 28-30 Jan
- 2015-Presented paper in National seminar of Foundation of practicing Geographers on Obstetric-care essentiality Vs Healthcare Insecurity: A Comparative Perspective of Chakdah Block, Nadia on 6-7 th Feb
- 2015-Presented paper in International seminar of Institute of Indian Geographers on Quality of Primary Healthcare in west Bengal: A Geographical Introspection on 25-28 Feb
- 2014-Participated in One Day National Level Seminar on ‘Conflicts of Development: Indian Perspectives ’organized by Post Graduate Department of Geography, Lady Brabourne College.
- 2014-Presented Paper on “Scenario of Health Care Services in Rural Nadia: A Case Study of Nadia District, West Bengal’ in International Seminar Sponsored by Centre For Development Studies and Research on 18th and 19th January ,2014.
- 2013-Presented Paper on ‘’Role of Haringhata Dairy Farm in Livelihood Security of Local Community in Haringhata Block, West Bengal’’ in UGC sponsored National Seminar on Contemporary Issues on Environment and Development In India and Adjacent Countries on 20th and 21st September 2013.
- 2012- Presented Paper on “ A Quest on People ,Participation and Sustainable Development: A Case Study of Pelling, West Sikkim’ ’in UGC sponsored National Seminar on Education for Sustainable Development in 21st Century on 4th and 5th October 2012
- 2012-Paper Presentation on ‘Linkage between Forest and Livelihood: a Case Study of Borabaribara Village, Garhbeta-II Block, West Midnapur’ on a weeklong National Workshop on Planet, People or Profit? The Perilious Passage and the Capitalist Transformation of the Natural World organized by Institute of Development Studies Kolkata on 10 and 14 September 2012
- 2011-Presented Paper on ‘Spatial Analysis of Health Issues and Challenges: Exploring through West Bengal’ UGC sponsored National Seminar on Changing Environmental Scenario of Indian Sub-continent: A Geographical Appraisal on 25th and 26th November 2011.