The Department of Zoology was established in 1997 and received its Honours affiliation in the same year from Calcutta University. The journey started with 6 honours students, teaching staff Dr. Chapala Sarkar, Dr. Chhabi Adhikary, Dr. Kabita Sengupta, Demonstrator Ms. Dipti Ghosh Dastidar, Graduate Laboratory Instructor Ms. Jayanti Bose and Laboratory Attendants Mr. Swapan Bhattacharjee and Mr. Samar Biswas. Since then the department has grown from strength to strength and we are grateful to all veterans who have helped maintain its reputation. The present and future members of the department will always cherish this umbilical cord with the past.
The Department is currently affiliated to the West Bengal State University and offers both honours and general courses under the Choice Based Credit System. The department strives to impart both classical zoological knowledge and contemporary applied expertise to give a holistic proficiency to the students in the subject. The department boasts of a well-stocked seminar library, exceptional collection of preserved specimens, well equipped laboratory, robust internet connection with overlapping Wi-Fi coverage and eclectic collection of e-resources. Besides classroom lessons, study tour and field work provide the students with hands-on learning experience. The Department organizes seminars, talks and workshops to inculcate and promote a culture of scientific enquiry. Students are regularly encouraged to participate in both academic and extracurricular activities within and beyond the college. We take pride in a rich alumni network involved in diverse fields and professions and in the last five years, the Department has actively worked to make the alumni network stronger.
Academic Programs Offered
Click Here for various available E-Resources.
Faculty & Support Staffs
Current Faculty Members
|Dr. Mala Bose||Associate Professor||More »|
|Dr. Soma Aditya (Bandyopadhyay)||Associate Professor||More »|
|Dr. Kaberi Datta||Assistant Professor||More »|
|Dr. Aniruddha Mitra||Assistant Professor||More »|
|Mr. Subhamay Bhattacharya||SACT||More »|
|Dr. Nivedita Koley||SACT||More »|
|Dr. Barnali Manna||SACT||More »|
|Dr. Sanghamitra Basu||SACT||More »|
|Dr. Suranjana Halder||SACT||More>>|
|Dr. Priyadarshini Mukherjee||SACT||More »|
Previous Faculty Members
|Dr. Chapala Sarkar, Dr. Chhabi Adhikary, Dr. Kabita Sengupta, Dr. Mainak Ghosh, Ms. Shanti Ghosh, Ms. Dipti Ghosh Dastidar (Demonstrator) and Ms. Jayanti Bose (GLI)||Substantive Faculty|
|Mr. Sibendu Dutta, Dr. Ajay Kr. Mandal, Dr. Sujoy Saha, Dr. Shanti Ranjan Dey, Dr. Amal Patra, Dr. Tupa Basu Roy, Ms. Ramita Roy, Dr. Paramaa Raha, Ms. Sharmita Basu, Ms. Sudipta Bhowmik, Ms. Debdyuti Ghatak, Ms. Manidipa Roy, Dr. Sandeep Poddar, Dr. Debpali Sur, Ms. Arpita Bhattacharyay, Dr. Anupam Chakraborty, Dr. Somnath Mazumdar, Dr. Soumi Nandi, Dr. Tanmoy Paul and Dr. Raju Sahu||Part-time/Guest Faculty|
- The Department has its own library which is quite rich in collection of books. In the recent times faculties have acquired a significant numbers of e-books as well INFLIBNET access. The repertoire of academic resources has increased astronomically in recent times. Students are encouraged to consult the departmental library as well as web resources.
- The Zoology Laboratory is one of the best and well equipped laboratory. Basic and advanced facilities, available/acquired over the years are: Animal Museum, Laboratory with facilities for animal dissections, Camera lucida, Oculometer, Digital and Overhead projector, Camera for field study, Incubator for tissue processing, Microtome for tissue section, Colorimeter, pH meter, Digital photoelectric Colorimeter, High speed centrifuge, Tissue homogenizer, Pointer eyepiece, Stage micrometer, Field binocular, Centrifuge (max 3500 rpm), Analytical balance, Single pan balance, Digital pan balance, Refrigerator, REMI Tissue homogenizer(12500 rpm), Gel Apparatus(vertical and horizontal with power pack).
- Museum of the Department: The Department has an excellent animal museum with collection of some rare macroscopic and microscopic specimens, bones and chick embryos.
- The Department is equipped with two full desktop computers with internet facility as well as LAN connection. Computer and internet facility are frequently used for comprehensive teaching.
- Lecture method is normally followed. Digital projector, Overhead Projector are frequently used for audio-visual augmentation. Apart from these procedures, tutorial classes at regular intervals and home assignments are also arranged at regular intervals by the faculty.
- Study Tour/Field Work (included in the curriculum): Annual Field Studies at various sites of ecological importance as per curriculum are conducted by the Department regularly for Honours and General Students. The survey involves study of faunal diversity in diverse habitats within or outside the State as well as surrounding locality of the College.
- Wall Magazine: The students of the department of Zoology takes active role in bringing out a wall magazine on various issues related to Zoology.
- Extensive use of audio-visual devices like LCD projector and overhead projector
- Need-based class tests in Hons. and Gen course
- Excursion, educational tours and field-based workshops
- Students’ feedback and grievance redressal system
- Parent-Teacher-Student Meets
- Departmental seminars including students’ dissertations
- Maintenance and constant up-gradation of departmental seminar libraries, addition of e-books in the computers.
- Continuous up-gradation laboratories and other infra-structural facilities
- Maintenance of preserved museum specimens
- Participation in Science Exhibition of the college
- Participation in National and State level seminars.
- Remedial coaching classes for students belonging to SC, ST, minorities communities and financially backward class are regularly held.
- ”International Conference on Contemporary Health Issues and Environmental Impact” organized by the Zoology Dept. in collaboration with Lincoln University College, Malaysia sponsored by WBSCHE in Sarojini Naidu College for Women, Kolkata on November 30th, 2017.
- One-day UG level Faculty Workshop on SEM 1 ZOOA CBCS syllabus organized by the dept. on September 27th, 2018.
- Extension lecture by Prof. Saikat Sarkar entitled “SNAKES – A Curious Bonanza” on April 18th, 2019.
- International Seminar on Microbiology : State of the Art organized by Departments of Anthropology, Botany, Molecular Biology and Zoology in collaboration with Lincoln University College, Malaysia on December 23rd, 2019.
- National webinar on ‘Environmental Protection through Biodiversity Conservation’ on the occasion of World Environment Day, June 5th, 2020.
- National Level E-Quiz Competition on COVID-19 Pandemic held from July 3rd July 5th, 2020.
- Web Lecture Series on Practical Zoology- Day 1: DNA isolation and Agarose Gel Electrophoresis, August 30th, 2020.
- Web Lecture Series on Practical Zoology- Day 2: Demonstration of Protein separation by SDS-PAGE, September 6th, 2020.
- Web Lecture Series on Practical Zoology – Day 3 : Estimation of Plasma level of any hormone using ELISA, September 14th, 2020.
- Web Lecture Series on Practical Zoology – Day 4 : Paper Chromatography of Amino Acids and Enzymatic activity of Trypsin and Lipase, September 19th, 2020.
- International webinar on “Understanding the evolution of COVID-19: Origin, Ecology and Zoonoses” on July 6th, 2021.
- National Webinar on “Exploring the Different Aspects of Nature Conservation” July 28th, 2021.
- A Certificate Course ( 30 hours duration) on Biodiversity and Conservation entitled “Nurturing Biodiversity for a Sustainable Future” organized by the Department of Zoology from March 14th, 2022 to May 27th, 2022.
- National Webinar on Understanding Climate Change on the occasion of the World Environment Day, June 5th, 2022.
*MANISA PARIAL SECURED FIRST CLASS FIRST POSITION IN B.SC. ZOOA PART–I EXAMINATION, 2014, WBSU.
*MONALISA CHAKRABORTY SECURED FIRST CLASS THIRD POSITION IN B.SC. ZOOA PART–III EXAMINATION, 2014, WBSU.
*SRIPARNA ROY SECURED FIRST CLASS FOURTH POSITION IN B.SC. ZOOA PART–III EXAMINATION, 2016, WBSU.
*SWASTIKA DEY SECURED FIRST CLASS FIRST POSITION IN B.SC. ZOOA PART–I EXAMINATION, 2017, WBSU.
*ANKITA LAHA SECURED FIRST CLASS THIRD POSITION IN B.SC. ZOOA PART–I EXAMINATION, 2017, WBSU.
*SWASTIKA DEY SECURED FIRST CLASS FIRST POSITION IN B.SC. ZOOA PART–II EXAMINATION, 2018, WBSU.
*CHANDRANI DAS SECURED FIRST CLASS SECOND POSITION IN B.SC. ZOOA PART–I EXAMINATION, 2018, WBSU.
*SWASTIKA DEY SECURED FIRST CLASS FIRST POSITION IN 2019 AMONG ZOOLOGY HONOURS GRADUATES. SHE HAS SCORED 81.1% , PART (I+II+III) COMBINED.
*PRATITI BAKSI SECURED FIRST CLASS FIFTH POSITION IN B.SC. ZOOA PART – III EXAMINATION, 2019, WBSU.
*ANISHA SARKAR AND CHANDRANI DAS JOINTLY SECURED FIRST CLASS SECOND POSITION IN B. SC. ZOOA PART-III EXAMINATION, 2020, WBSU.
*KOYEL GHOSAL SECURED FIRST CLASS FOURTH POSITION IN B. SC. ZOOA PART-III EXAMINATION, 2020, WBSU.
*SABARI DAS SECURED FIRST CLASS FIRST POSITION IN B. SC. ZOOA CBCS EXAMINATION, 2021, WBSU
*LABANI SAHA SECURED FIRST CLASS FIFTH POSITION IN B. SC. ZOOA CBCS EXAMINATION, 2022, WBSU.
- Studies on the diversity and abundance of butterfly (Lepidoptera : Rhopalocera) fauna in and around Sarojini Naidu College campus, Kolkata, West Bengal, India by Aiswarya V. Nair, Pradarsika Mitra and Soma Aditya (Bandyopadhyay), Journal of Entomology and Zoology Studies, 2 (4) : 129-134 (2014) ISSN: 2320 7078
- Plastic Pollution and its consequences on marine biota by Soma Aditya (Bandyopadhyay) and Gunjan Roy Chowdhury in Proceedings of the WBDST sponsored seminar-“Impact Of Pollution: Assessment and Awareness” organized by Department of Zoology, Hooghly Womens’ College on February 14th and 15th 2014) ISBN: 978-81-921083-8-4
- Coastal shrimp farming-Threats to the environment by Priyanka Das and Soma Aditya Bandyopadhyay in Proceedings of the UGC sponsored National seminar – “Marine Biodiversity of India – Threats and Prospects” organized by Department of Zoology, Raja Peary Mohan College, Uttarpara, Hooghly, September 24 & 25, 2013
- Coral reefs in peril : an appraisal by Priyanka Das and Soma Aditya Bandyopadhyay, Journal of Environment and Sociobiology, 11(2): 279-284 (2014) ISSN: 0973-0834
- A preliminary assessment of avifaunal diversity in and around Sarojini Naidu College campus, Kolkata, West Bengal, India. Das, P. and Aditya (Bandyopadhyay), S. International Journal of Fauna and Biological Studies, 3(2): 56-61. (2016) ISSN: 2347-2677
- An observation on the Odonata diversity in and around Sarojini Naidu College campus, Kolkata, West Bengal, India by Ritu Mandal and Soma Aditya (Bandyopadhyay), International Journal of Entomology Research 2 (4) : 31-34. (2017) ISSN: 2455-4758
|2020-2021||Suvanjana Ghosh||GATE, NET-LS|
|Susraba Chatterjee||NET-JRF, GATE|
|2022-2023||Swastika Dey||NET-JRF, GATE|
|Koyel Ghosal||GATE, WB-SET|
|Category||Principal Investigator/Co-ordinator||Title of the
|Faculty Projects||Dr. Mala
|Comparative Study of Hookworm infestation among Primary School Children population in an Urban Slum and a Rural Community at Burdwan, West Bengal||UGC||Rs. 65,000
|Study of the Nutritional and Haematological Status of different Gastrointestinal Parasitoses among Primary School Children population in Slum areas of Sunderbans||UGC||Rs. 178000
|Subhamay Bhattacharya||Study of optimal foraging by nectarivorous avian and mammalian species through biochemical analysis of nectar of Butea monosperma & Bombax ceiba||SNCW||Rs. 10000
|Dr. Aniruddha Mitra||Understanding the evolution of bitter taste.||DST-SERB, Teachers Associateship for Research Excellence||Rs. 5,39,942/-||29.12.2019 to 14.05.2022|
|Department Project||Dr. Aniruddha Mitra||Establishment of Butterfly Conservation Area at Sarojini Naidu College for Women, Kolkata||West Bengal Biodiversity Board||Rs. 1,20,000/-||21.12.2022 to 20.12.2023|