The Department of Zoology was launched in 1997 as the institute got it’s affiliation in Zoology Honours course in that year. It began its journey with 6 honours students and following staffs: DR. CHHABI ADHIKARI; DR. CHAPALA SARKAR; DR. KABITA SENGUPTA; Ms. JAYANTI BOSE (GLI); Ms. DIPTI GHOSH DASTIDAR(Demonstrator); MR. SWAPAN BHATTACHARJEE (Lab Attendant) & MR. SAMAR BISWAS (Lab Attendant). Since then many new lecturers have joined the department namely DR. MALA BOSE; DR. SOMA ADITYA (BANDYOPADHYAY); MR. SUBHAMAY BHATTACHARYA, DR. NIVEDITA KOLEY and DR. MAINAK GHOSH, although for a brief period, along with some Guest Lecturers and two support staffs, MR. ANUPAM SARKAR and MR. MITHUN GHOSH.
The Department is grateful to all the veterans who have enriched and maintained its reputation since its inception. The present and future of the department will always cherish this umbilical cord with the past.
Academic Programs Offered
- 3 Year B.Sc. Honours Course in Zoology
- 3 Year B.Sc. General Course in Zoology
Click Here for various available E-Resources.
|Dr. Mala Bose||Associate Professor||More »|
|Dr. Soma Aditya (Bandyopadhyay)||Associate Professor||More »|
|Dr. Aniruddha Mitra||Assistant Professor||More »|
|Dr. Kaberi Datta||Assistant Professor||More »|
|Mr. Subhamay Bhattacharya||SACT||More »|
|Dr. Nivedita Koley||SACT||More »|
|Dr. Barnali Manna||SACT||More »|
|Dr. Sanghamitra Basu||SACT||More »|
|Dr. Suranjana Halder||SACT||More>>|
|Dr. Priyadarshini Mukherjee||SACT||More »|
|Mr. Anupam Sarkar||Lab Attendant|
|Mr. Mithun Ghosh||Lab Attendant|
- The Department has its own library which is quite rich in collection of books. In the recent times faculties have acquired a significant numbers of e-books as well INFLIBNET access. The repertoire of academic resources has increased astronomically in recent times. Students are encouraged to consult the departmental library as well as web resources.
- The Zoology Laboratory is one of the best and well equipped laboratory. Basic and advanced facilities, available/acquired over the years are: Animal Museum, Laboratory with facilities for animal dissections, Camera lucida, Oculometer, Stage micrometer, Digital and Overhead projector, Camera for field study, Incubator for tissue processing, Microtome for tissue section, Colorimeter, pH meter, Digital photoelectric Colorimeter, High speed centrifuge, Tissue homogenizer, Pointer eyepiece, Stage micrometer, Field binocular, Centrifuge (max 3500 rpm), Analytical balance, Single pan balance, Digital pan balance, Refrigerator, REMI Tissue homogenizer(12500 rpm), Gel Apparatus(vertical and horizontal with power pack).
- Museum of the Department:The Department has an excellent animal museum with collection of some rare macroscopic and microscopic specimens, bones and chick embryos.
- The Department is equipped with two full desktop computers with internet facility as well as LAN connection. Computer and internet facility are frequently used for comprehensive teaching.
- Lecture method is normally followed. Digital projector, Overhead Projector are frequently used for audio-visual augmentation. Apart from these procedures, tutorial classes at regular intervals and home assignments are also arranged at regular intervals by the faculty.
- Study Tour/Field Work (included in the curriculum): Annual Field Studies at various sites of ecological importance as per curriculum are conducted by the Department regularly for Honours and General Students. The survey involves study of faunal diversity in diverse habitats within or outside the State as well as surrounding locality of the College.
- Wall Magazine:The students of the department of Zoology takes active role in bringing out a wall magazine on various issues related to Zoology.
- Extensive use of audio-visual devices like LCD projector and overhead projector
- Need-based class tests in Hons. and Gen course
- Excursion, educational tours and field-based workshops
- Students’ feedback and grievance redressal system
- Parent-Teacher-Student Meets
- Departmental seminars including students’ dissertations
- Maintenance and constant up-gradation of departmental seminar libraries, addition of e-books in the computers.
- Continuous up-gradation laboratories and other infra-structural facilities
- Maintenance of preserved museum specimens
- Participation in Science Exhibition of the college
- Participation in National and State level seminars.
- Remedial coaching classes for students belonging to SC, ST, minorities communities and financially backward class are regularly held.
- ”International Conference on Contemporary Health Issues and Environmental Impact” organized by the Zoology Dept. in collaboration with Lincoln University College, Malaysia sponsored by WBSCHE in Sarojini Naidu College for Women, Kolkata on November 30, 2017.
- One-day UG level Faculty Workshop on SEM 1 ZOOA CBCS syllabus organized by the dept. on 27.9.18.
- Extension lecture by Prof. Saikat Sarkar entitled “SNAKES – A Curious Bonanza” on April 18th 2019.
- International Seminar on Microbiology : State of the Art organized by Departments of Anthropology, Botany, Molecular Biology and Zoology in collaboration with Lincoln University College, Malaysia on 23.12.2019.
- International webinar on “Understanding the evolution of COVID-19:origin, ecology and zoonoses” on 06.07.21.
- National Webinar on “Exploring the Different Aspects of Nature Conservation” 28.07.21.
- A Certificate Course ( 30 hours duration) on Biodiversity and Conservation entitled “Nurturing Biodiversity for a Sustainable Future” organized by the Department of Zoology from 14.03.22 to 27.05.22.
STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT IN UNIVERSITY EXAMINATIONS
*MANISA PARIAL SECURED FIRST CLASS FIRST POSITION IN B.SC. PART–I EXAMINATION, 2014 UNDER WBSU.
*MONALISA CHAKRABORTY SECURED FIRST CLASS THIRD POSITION IN B.SC. PART–III EXAMINATION, 2014 UNDER WBSU.
*SRIPARNA ROY SECURED FIRST CLASS FOURTH POSITION IN B.SC. PART–III EXAMINATION, 2016 UNDER WBSU.
*SWASTIKA DEY SECURED FIRST CLASS FIRST POSITION IN B.SC. PART–I EXAMINATION, 2017 UNDER WBSU.
*ANKITA LAHA SECURED FIRST CLASS THIRD POSITION IN B.SC. PART–I EXAMINATION, 2017 UNDER WBSU.
*SWASTIKA DEY SECURED FIRST CLASS FIRST POSITION IN B.SC. PART–II EXAMINATION, 2018 UNDER WBSU.
*CHANDRANI DAS SECURED FIRST CLASS SECOND POSITION IN B.SC. PART–I EXAMINATION, 2018 UNDER WBSU.
*SWASTIKA DEY SECURED FIRST CLASS SECOND POSITION IN B.SC. PART–III EXAMINATION, 2019 UNDER WBSU.
*PRATITI BAKSI SECURED FIRST CLASS FIFTH POSITION IN B.SC. PART – III EXAMINATION, 2019 UNDER WBSU.
* SWASTIKA DEY HAS SECURED FIRST CLASS FIRST POSITION IN 2019 AMONG ZOOLOGY HONOURS GRADUATES. SHE HAS SCORED 81.1% , PART (I+II+III) COMBINED
*LABANI SAHA SECURED FIRST CLASS FIFTH POSITION IN B. SC. HONOURS (CBCS) EXAMINATION IN ZOOLOGY, 2022 UNDER WBSU.
ALUMNI ACHIEVEMENT IN COMPETITIVE EXAMINATIONS
- Studies on the diversity and abundance of butterfly (Lepidoptera : Rhopalocera) fauna in and around Sarojini Naidu College campus, Kolkata, West Bengal, India by Aiswarya V. Nair, Pradarsika Mitra and Soma Aditya (Bandyopadhyay), Journal of Entomology and Zoology Studies, 2 (4) : 129-134 (2014) ISSN: 2320 7078
- Plastic Pollution and its consequences on marine biota by Soma Aditya (Bandyopadhyay) and Gunjan Roy Chowdhury in Proceedings of the WBDST sponsored seminar-“Impact Of Pollution: Assessment and Awareness” organized by Department of Zoology, Hooghly Womens’ College on February 14th and 15th 2014) ISBN: 978-81-921083-8-4
- Coastal shrimp farming-Threats to the environment by Priyanka Das and Soma Aditya Bandyopadhyay in Proceedings of the UGC sponsored National seminar – “Marine Biodiversity of India – Threats and Prospects” organized by Department of Zoology, Raja Peary Mohan College, Uttarpara, Hooghly, September 24 & 25, 2013
- Coral reefs in peril : an appraisal by Priyanka Das and Soma Aditya Bandyopadhyay, Journal of Environment and Sociobiology, 11(2): 279-284 (2014) ISSN: 0973-0834
- A preliminary assessment of avifaunal diversity in and around Sarojini Naidu College campus, Kolkata, West Bengal, India. Das, P. and Aditya (Bandyopadhyay), S. International Journal of Fauna and Biological Studies, 3(2): 56-61. (2016) ISSN: 2347-2677
- An observation on the Odonata diversity in and around Sarojini Naidu College campus, Kolkata, West Bengal, India by Ritu Mandal and Soma Aditya (Bandyopadhyay), International Journal of Entomology Research 2 (4) : 31-34. (2017) ISSN: 2455-4758
|Name of the
|Title of the
|Dr. Mala Bose||Comparative Study of Hookworm infestation among Primary School Children population in an Urban Slum and a Rural Community at Burdwan, West Bengal||UGC||Rs. 65,000
|Study of the Nutritional and Haematological Status of different Gastrointestinal Parasitoses among Primary School Children population in Slum areas of Sunderbans||UGC||Rs. 178000
|Subhamay Bhattacharya||Study of optimal foraging by nectarivorous avian and mammalian species through biochemical analysis of nectar of Butea monosperma & Bombax ceiba||SNCW||Rs. 10000