“The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life.”— Rabindranath Tagore
About the Department
Department of Botany was established in 1956 as Department of Biology under the headship of Mrs. Santi Ghosh. In late 1980s, Botany and Zoology was separated as independent department. But from its inception only General/Pass course was taught. Honours course was introduced from 1997. In the first year only 5 students were sent up to Calcutta University. At present we are enriched with 4 full time and 3 SACT teachers. All teachers are adopted with ICT in teaching learning. Since inception till date the department has been holding programmes including seminars and workshops for the benefits of teachers and students.
- To prepare a students in such a way that after completion of the three-year degree course, they are equipped with a positive frame of mind, has basic communication skills, should have acquired the ability to explain something logically, and above all, should have developed a balanced personality.
- To give utmost importance to the socially, economically marginalized sections of students.
- Special classes are arranged for slow learners
- Along with ICT emphasis is also given on Chalk and Talk method, OHP and charts.
- Educational tours are periodically arranged to improve student learning.
The department of Botany is currently offering the following course of CBCS curriculum
- B.Sc. Honours course in Botany under WBSU
- B.Sc General course in Botany under WBSU
|Dr. Dipanwita Bhattacharya||Associate Professor||More »|
|Dr. Dipanwita Choudhury||Associate Professor||More »|
|Dr. Sampa Dutta Sarkar||Associate Professor||More »|
|Dr. Namrata Shanu Gupta||Assistant Professor||More »|
|Ms. Tania Das||State Aided College Teacher||More »|
|Ms. Payel Banerjee||State Aided College Teacher||More »|
|Ms. Sagarika Sarkar||State Aided College Teacher||More »|
|Sri Debraj Nandy||Lab Attendant|
|Sri Sunny Nayak||Contractual Laboratory Attendant|
- Departmental Library – Department of Botany is enriched with more than 500 books in different categories. Apart from library books we also prepare a book bank for the benefit of our students. Those books are collected from our personal copy, specimen copy and books bought from our departmental fund.
- Laboratory-Department of Botany possess 3 laboratories with well equipped instruments like Microscope, Ocular Micrometer, Stage Micrometer, Digital Weighing Balance, Soil Thermometer, Minimum Maximum Thermometer, Hot Air Oven, Colorimeter, spectrophotometer, pH meter, Laminar air flow, Borosil Distillation Unit, Water Bath, Gel apparatus etc.
- A medicinal plant garden enriched with varieties of medicinal plants in our college premises is maintained by Department of Botany. The financial support was given by the College.
- Along with this the department is enriched with well maintained specimen Museum and Herbarium.
- The Classrooms are well equipped with Smart television; Computer access for students, Wi-Fi and Wired Internet.
Seminars, Projects and Collaboration
- Students seminar delivered by 2nd year and 3rd year Honours students on different popular science topics. Date – 5th September, 2016.
- Extension lecture by Dr. Sumita Ghosh, Assoc. Prof., Presidency University on Mushrooms and its culture; November 2016.
- Extension lecture by Dr. Madhubrata Chowdhury; topic- cancer and its genetic basis, September 2017.
- Extension lecture by Dr. Sanjay Guha Roy, Prof., WBSU- topic Fungi and Their World; November 2017.
- Students of 1st, 2nd and 3rd year always deliver short lectures on various topics on 5th September of each year on account of Teacher’s Day.
- Extension lecture on “Antibiotics and its Uses” by Dr Riddhi Majumder on September 2018.
- Extension lecture by Dr. Madhubrata Chowdhury; Topic- Cell Cycle and its regulation, November 2018.
- Extension lecture by Dr. Shantanu Saha, Associate Professor, Bidhannagar College. Topic – Sundarbans and its Mangroove on April 2019
- A mini project on Avenue Trees of Kolkata, was compiled by Ms. Payel Banerjee, 2018.
- An International Seminar on Microbiology: State of the Art was organized by IQAC and Department of Anthropolgy, Botany, Molecular biology and Zoology, Sarojini Naidu college for Women in collaboration with Lincoln University College, Malaysia on 23th December 2019.
- Hands on Training on Practical Aspects of Plant Ecology Cum Extension Lecture conducted by Dr. Shantanu Saha, Associate Professor, Bidhannagar College. Date- April 2019.
- Department of Botany, Sarojini Naidu College for Women, Kolkata, had organised a web
lecture series on theoretical botany specifically for undergraduates students conducted from15th to 21st October, 2020. This lecture was presented brilliantly by Dr. Madan Mohan Bhattacharya, Dr. Arun Banerjee, Dr. Ashok Kumar Das and Dr.Madhumita Maitra.
- One day state level seminar on “Chemistry behind phytochemicals used as herbal medicine for treatment of diseases of human being (Series:4) organized by Department of Botany and Chemistry of SNCW and Department of Chemistry, The Bhawanipur Educationa Society College, Kolkata, India. Sponsored by Inclusion and Diversity Fund, Royal Society of Chemistry, London in collaboration with Indian Chemical Society, Kolkata, India.
- A collaboration agreement was done between department of Botany of Sarojini Naidu College for Women and Post Graduate department of Botany (Plant Biotechnology Laboratory), Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Centenary College, Rahara, Kolkata on 3rd March 2022. The purpose of this agreement is to develop academic and educational collaboration through resource sharing, seminars, talks and teachers/ students exchange between the two identified departments of two institutions and strengthening professional relations between the institutes.
- Educational Excursion- 2nd year Honours students accompanied by two departmental teachers and non-teaching staff. Spot – Vizag and Araku Valley; November 2016.
- One day excursion to Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Indian Botanic Garden, Shibpur, Howrah with 2nd year honours and general students. Date – January 2017.
- One day educational excursion to Indian Agri-Horticultural Society of India, Alipore, Kolkata, with 2nd year honours students. Date – February 2017.
- The teachers and students of our department always visit Darjeeling and adjoining areas for educational excursion in the month of November every year. They acquaint themselves with bryophytes, pteridophytes and dominant vegetation of gymnosperm and angiosperm. They visit the Llyod Botanical Garden to identify the unique plants present there.
- Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Indian Botanic Garden, Shibpur, Howrah, is also visited by the teachers and students of our department every year to see the great banyan tree, Victoria amazonica, branched palm, double coconut etc., to name a few. A section comprising the ethnobotany and herbarium is a must visit. This excursion is also incomplete without a visit to the medicinal garden.
- An educational cum excursion trip was organized by our Department at Agri-Horticultural Society of India (AHSI), Kolkata on 7th December 2022.
Student Activities and Achievement
- Ritu Pragya Nayak (III year 2019 pass out) joined MBA course in XIMB, Kochi.
- Pinki Dutta (2016 passout student) qualified CSIR NET Life Science, 2019 June.
- Priyanka Sharma (III year 2019 pass out) got job in TCS.
- Participated in inter-college competition organized by THK Jain College- Sneha Dutta student of 1stSem (1st runner up in doodle), Anindita Pal student of 1stSem (2nd runner up in photography), Rimisha Saha student of 1stSem participated in 1 min talent hunt, Deblina Mitra student of 1stSem (1st in English poetry), Debolina Mitra( English poetry competition) and Mithu Karmakar 1stSem students participated in non fire cooking.
- Nadira Sultana (Sem IV) had participated in Intra College Poster competition organised by IQAC, Sarojini Naidu College for Women on the ocassion of International Women’s Day,2022 on 15th March,2022.
- Department of Botany, Sarojini Naidu College for Women had successfully organized one day seminar on various topics on biological science on 5th September, 2022. The seminar was actively delivered by students of Semester III and V, department of Botany. The purpose of the seminar was to celebrate the auspicious occasion of Teacher’s Day and to encourage student’s participation.
- Students of department of Botany, Sarojini Naidu College for Women had successfully organized Farewell programme on 9th September, 2022.
- Anoushka Dutta (Sem-V) had participated and stood First in the Intra-College Digital Poster Competition, Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav-Independence Day, 2022.
- Students of Semester 5 had participated in Inter college poster presentation on National Science Day on 1st March, 2023 organised by Sarojini Naidu College for Women and Dum Dum Motijheel Rabindra Mahavidyalaya.