The Department of History has started its journey since the year of establishment of the college in 1956. At the nascent stage, only a few subjects were introduced as General Courses of study, but within a few years Honours in various subjects including History were introduced to meet the demands of the students. Students were admitted in 10 +2 level, the undergraduate General Course and Honours Course. The department started its Honours course with three students. Within a few years the number of students increased rapidly and reached to thirty. The Department of History was first guided by Prof. Niharkana Majumdar who joined Lady Brabourne College later. Prof. Abha Kundu was the head of the department for the period 1959 to 1965. Many teachers as well as reputed scholars namely Prof. Nivedita Dasgupta, Prof. Chhaya Dasgupta, Prof Kavita Mukhopadhyay, Dr.Sunita Bandopadhyay, Dr.Manju Chattopadhyay and Dr. Paula Banerjee served the department and contributed in its all round development. At present there are five full time teachers in the deparment -Dr.S ukanya Sarkar, Dr.Nibedita Pal, Prof. Adarini Kanjilal Biswas, Prof. Azizul Biswas and Prof. Narayan Nandy.
|Dr. Sukanya Sarkar||Associate Professor||More »|
|Dr. Nibedita Pal||Associate Professor||More »|
|Ms. Adarini Kanjilal||Assistant Professor||More »|
|Mr. Azizul Biswas||Assistant Professor||More »|
|Mr. Narayan Nandy||Assistant Professor and HOD||More »|
- The Department of History organised a Special Lecture on Heritage sites of Dum Dum delivered by Mrs. Moumita Ghosh at College Seminar Hall on 05-09-2018
- The Department of History of Sarojini Naidu College for Women organised a three-day Educational Tour at historical Murshidadad town from 8 th to 10 th April, 2019. Students of Semester III (History Honours) joined this tour as a part of their curricular activity for paper code HISSSEC01T (Archive & Museum)
- The History Department of Sarojini Naidu College for Women in collaboration with Peoples Green Society organized a Heritage Workshop on “Procedure for Listing of Heritage Sites in and around Greater Dum Dum” on 17-01-2020 at College Seminar Hall
- The History Department of Sarojini Naidu College for Women in collaboration with Peoples Green Society wished to organize a Heritage Walk from HMV to Netaji Subhas Chandr Bose International Airport, Dum Dum on 23rd January, 2020
- Departments of Sarojini Naidu College for Women & Gandhi Smarak Sangrahalaya, Barrackpore, Amdanga Jugal Kishore Mahavidyalaya, Rishi Bankim Chandra College, Ramkrishna Sarada Mission Vivekananda Vidya Bhavan jointly organised an One Day National Seminar on “100 Years of Jallianwala Bagh: Relieving the Grief” at Gandhi Smarak Sangrahalaya, Barracpore on 24th February, 2020
- The Department of History in collaboration with the I.Q.A.C of Sarojini Naidu College for Women organized an International Webinar on “Reflections on Pandemics in Colonial India : An Unfurled Chapter in History” on September 4th, 2021
- The Department of History in collaboration with the I.Q.A.C of Sarojini Naidu College for Women organized an International Webinar on “India through the Lens of Visitors: A Chapter in Our Cultural History.” on May 30th, 2022. The speaker of the online session was Prof. (Dr.) Syed Tanveer Nasreen, Director, Indian Cultural Centre, High Commission of India, Male, Maldives
- The Department of History and the Department of Anthropology of Sarojini Naidu College for Women, along with its IQAC jointly commemorated on 29th April 2022 the 131st Birth Anniversary of Dr. B R Ambedkar with a special lecture on “Babasaheb Dr. Ambedkar: The Traditional Reformer” delivered by Dr. Subrata Shankar Bagchi, Dr. B R Ambedkar Chair Professor from the Department of Anthropology, University of Calcutta
- Departments of History, Sanskrit, Hindi and Economics of Sarojini Naidu College for Women jointly conducted an One Day Educational tour at Chandraketugar, an important historical site of North 24 Paraganas on 21st December 2022. A total of 61 Students and 12 Professors have participated in it.