The department of Economics started its journey from the inception of the college in 1956. It started functioning with two veteran teachers, namely, Mrs. Madhabi Mukherjee and Ms. Shanti Ghosh. Initially the department had very few students. Initially, students were admitted in 10+2 level and in the undergraduate general course. Dr. Puspa Tarafdar joined the department in 1965 following the retirement of Mrs. Madhabi Mukherjee. On the other hand, Prof. Shanti Ghosh was greatly involved in different administrative works of the college. Mrs. Jayita Banerjee joined the department in 1997, three years after the retirement of Prof. Shanti Ghosh. The honours course was started in 2000 in the department with the active efforts of Dr. Puspa Tarafdar and Prof. Jayita Banerjee. Prof. Sweta Mondal joined the department in 2014, twelve years after the retirement of Dr. Puspa Tarafdar. During 2002-2014, Prof.Jayita Banerjee worked with so many guest lecturers. Prof. Pritam Chatterjee joined the Department in 2015 while Prof. Swarup Roy and Prof. Asif Akhtar Joined the Department in 2019.
Students mostly come from nearby locality. The students of the department not only attend regular classes but participate enthusiastically in in-house seminars, quizzes, debates, etc. They write regularly in college magazine and wall magazines. Third-year honours students survey various municipal wards about several economic aspects and made projects on local economic problems as part of their syllabus. These projects show interesting results on local problems. The Municipality and the local councilor help a lot in the events of door-to–door survey and data collection. There persists cordial relations between the teachers and the students of the department. The students feel free to meet the teachers outside the class and discuss even their personal problems.
|Ms. Jayita Banerjee||Associate Professor||More »|
|Ms. Sweta Mondal||Assistant Professor||More »|
|Mr. Pritam Chatterjee||State Aided College Teacher and HOD||More »|
|Mr. Swarup Roy||State Aided College Teacher||More »|
|Mr. Asif Akhtar||State Aided College Teacher||More »|
Our Department has offered the following facilities
- Departmental Library-Our departmental library has enriched with so many books,not only old rare books but also new books on current event and activities.
- Computers-Our department has two computers with internet facilities.Students of our departments use those computers for their academic purpose.Third year honours students use those computers for their dissertation/project work which is a part of CBCS honours syllabus
- Classroom with ICT facilities
- Smart TV
The Economics Department of our college is running with a handful number of students from its very inception. But their achievements are note-worthy. Some of their achievements are highlighted below:
- In the session 2015-2016, there were two students of Second Year. Of them Debolina Banerjee qualified NET- JRF which was held in the month of June, 2020 conducted by National Testing Agency. At present she is pursing M.Phil under Jadavpur University.
- In Third year, there were two students. Of them Anusreta Dutta Gupta, after completing her graduation, joined a Multinational Company, titled Digital Operations & Platform (A Division of Wipro Ltd.) in the year November 2018 as a Process Associate. She left her job for higher studies and at present she is pursing MBA from Bhavans Institute of Management.
- During the session 2016-2017 there were six students of first year. Among them, Sneha Seal joined in Genpact Sayani Kundu after completing her graduation joined ICICI bank as a Senior Officer on 26th March, 2021.
- During the session 2017-2018, there were five students of first year. Among them, Ria Sarkar appeared for CAT exam in 2021 and qualified it to pursue MBA from IMI New Delhi.
- During the session, 2018-2019, there were four students of Semester 1 under Choice Based Credit System (CBCS). Among them, Shreya Singh, after completing her graduation with good marks, got admitted for her Post-Graduation at Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics (GIPE). Prerona Roy Choudhury and Megha Chatterjee at present both are pursuing their Post-Graduation from Kalyani University. Mrittika Debnath after completing her graduation got a job in a Telecom company named JIO.
- Two days celebration on “National Science Day”, 2023 was held on 28th February and 1st March along with Poster Competition. It was held in collaboration with Dum Dum Motijheel Rabindra Mahavidyalaya. Students of 4th Semester participated in the competition.
- On 21st December, 2022, students of Sem 3 and Sem 5 visited Chandraketugar for an educational tour.
- Students of Sem 3 and Sem 5 visited Duara Sarkar Camp on 9th November, 2022
- Teachers’ day 5th September celebration was organized and celebrated by our departmental students on 2016, 2018, 2019 and 2022.
- Besides celebration, Teachers’ day was observed with Student Seminar presentation on 5th September, 2018.
- On 6th October, 2018 Fresher’s welcome of 1st Semester students was given by 2nd Year students which was held in our departmental room. Again, on 7th September, 2016, 1st Year students (Old Regulation) were given Fresher’s Welcome by the senior students of our department.
- On 6th September, 2017 & 2019 Student Seminar Presentation was organized by our department where students of 1st year and 3rd Year gave their presentation on various current economic issues.
- Students of 1st Sem attended and presented a paper in the National Seminar on “ Sustainability Of Microfinance and Small Business Issues and Challenges organized by Savitri Devi College Department of Commerce & Commerce Alumni Association of Calcutta University.
- On 15th October 2018, students of 1st Semester and student of Third Year (Old System) participated in the “Jefferson Debate” organized by ILEAD (Institute of Leadership Entrepreneurship & Development).
- On 14th September, 2018 student of 1st Sem participated in Hindi Divas programme organized by Department of Hindi, SNCW
- Students of 1st Year (Old Regulations) presented a Poster at a State Level Seminar on “Green Initiative and World Peace” organized by NSS Unit & IQAC of SNCW.
- On 12 August 2016, students of our department attended a National Exhibition held at Surer Math, Dum Dum
- On 16 th September, 2016 Student Seminar was organized by our department where students of our department participated and gave their presentation on current contemporary economic issues like “Impact of Brain Drain on Indian Economy”, “Child Labour on Indian Economy” etc