Associate Professor Philosophy
Gitanjali Mukhopadhayay is presently working as an Associate Professor of Philosophy in Sarojini Naidu College for Women, Kolkata. She received her M. A. and M. Phil. degrees from the University of Calcutta and Rabindra Bharati University respectively. She has completed her graduation from Sarojini Naidu College for Women under the University of Calcutta. Qualification: MA, B.ED., MPhil Teaching experience in other institutions: In the Dept. of Philosophy, Rabindra Bharati University, I served as Guest Lecturer in both UG and PG course. Other Academic Activities: Scholar and Life member, Indian Academy Of Philosophy
Currently,Gitanjali Mukhopadhayay is teaching the following courses:
- The Method of Truth Table as decision procedures: Statement forms and Statements—Tautologous, Contradictory and Contingent by Truth Table. Validity determination by Truth Table method and Truth Value Assignment method.
- Method of Deduction —Construction of formal proof of validity by using 19 Rules.
- Invalidity by Shorter Truth Table method.
- Quantification: Need for Quantification Theory, Singular Propositions, Quantifiers, Translating Traditional Subject— Predicate Proposition into Logical Notation of Propositional Function and Quantifier, Predicate and Predicate functions, Individual Constant and Individual Variable. Quantification Rules and Proving Validity, Proving Invalidity for Arguments Involving Quantifiers.
- Indian Philosophy:
- Cārvāka Epistemology: Perception as the only source of knowledge, Rejection of Inference and Testimony as sources of knowledge
- Cārvāka Metaphysics: Causality- Svabhāvavāda, Yadṛcchāvāda, Akasmikatāvāda, Jagat, Bhūtacaitanyavāda.
- Saṅkhya System: Duhkha- traya, Satkāryavāda as opposed to Asatkāryavāda, arguments in favour of Satkāryavāda, Prakṛti- Its Constituents and Evolutes, Arguments for the existence of Prakṛti, Puruṣa-Arguments for its existence, Plurality of Puruṣa, Liberation.
- Yoga System: Citta, Cittabhūmi, Cittavṛtti, Cittavṛtti -nirodha, Aṣṭāṅgayoga, Concept of ︡Isvara
- Mīmāmsā System: Pramāṇas in brief and Arthāpatti and Anupalabdhi in detail.(Prābhākara and Bhāṭṭa view)
- Text: Annaṁbhaṭṭa’s Tarkasaṁgrahaḥ with Dīpikā tika(Perception and inference)
- Social and Political Philosophy-Western
- Political Ideals: Government: Democracy and its different forms [Direct, Indirect, Parliamentary and Presidential]
- Socialism and its varieties: Utopian, Democratic, Scientific
- Separation of Power: Three wings of the Government—Legislature, Executive and Judiciary (with special reference to Montesquieu)
- Moral and Non-moral actions: Concept and object of Moral Judgment. Standards of Morality: Teleological Ethics- Hedonism-Psychological & Ethical; Ethical-Egoism and Utilitarianism [Bentham & Mill].
- Deontological Ethics -Kant: Good will, Categorical Imperative, Duty for Duty’s Sake.
- Theories of Punishment.
- Practical Ethics
- Killing: Killing of animals, Suicide, Euthanasia
- Human Rights: Discrimination and its different types [with special reference to Caste /varna.
- War, Violence and Terrorism.
- Concept of Environmental Ethics.
- Feminist Ethics Justice based Ethics vs. Care based Ethics and Ethics based on Empathy; female foeticide and abortion.
- Philosophy of Religion Introduction: Scope and nature of Religion. Relation between- Philosophy of Religion and Theology Proofs for the existence of God: Ontological, Cosmological, Teleological, Moral.
- Western Philosopher Hume Text: An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding
- President,Alumini Association,SNCW
- Member of IQAC
- Member,Hostel Committee
- Member,Service book and Pension committee