Qualification: M.Sc., Ph. D.
Designation: Assistant Professor
Field of Specialization: Organic Chemistry
Post Doctoral Research:
- Department of Chemistry, Korea Advanced Institute of Science & Technology ( KAIST), South Korea from 01/2006 to 06/2007.
- Synthetic Methodology.
- Reaction kinetics and Mechanism of Hydrolysis of Sulfinamides
- CHEMBIOTEK ( A TCG Life Sciences Ltd.) as Research Scientist from 08/2007 to 02/2009. Synthesis of biologically active molecules.
- Since April, 2015 in this college.
- Gokhale Memorial Girls’ College as Assistant Professor (FDP of UGC) from 22/10/2009 to 02/09/2010.
- Sreegopal Banerjee College as Assistant Professor (FDP of UGC) from 03/09/2010 to 31/01/2012.
Experience in Government Laboratory:
- Chemical Examination Laboratory, Department of Excise, Government of West Bengal as Assistant Chemical Examiner from 01/02/2012 to 27/06/2012.
- Forensic Science Laboratory, Home (Police) Department, Government of West Bengal as Senior Scientific Officer from 28/06/2012 to 07/04/2015.
- Substitution and Elimination reactions, Addition to C=C andC≡C bonds, Chemistry of C=O compounds, carbene, nitrene, diazomethane, Basic stereochemistry of carbon molecules, Organic Synthesis: Disconnection Approach, Pericyclic Reactions, Heterocyclic Compounds – Synthesis and reactions.
- Development of new methods in organic synthesis particularly with focus on Green Chemistry aspects.
- Crystal engineering with focus on non-bonded O···S contacts, weak C−H···O and strong O−H···X (X = N, S) H-bonds along with C−H···π and π···π interactions.
- Studies of kinetics and reaction mechanism of hydrolysis of sulfinamides in aqueous mineral acids and also in 50% acetonitrile-water system.
- Thirty eighth Annual Convention of Chemists” 2001, Jai Narain Vyas University, Jodhpur, Rajasthan, December 26-29, 2001, organized by Indian Chemical Society, 92, A.P.C. Road, Kolkata-700009 participated and presented a paper in this symposium.
- Participated “National Symposium on Organic Chemistry: Recent Trends and Prospects” held on 17th April 2002, Organized by Department of Chemistry, Jadavpur University, Kolkata-700 032.
- “National Symposium on Organic Chemistry – II (NSOC – II): Current Trends and Prospects”, Department of Chemistry, Jadavpur University, Kolkata-700032, December 17, 2003 participated and presented a paper in this symposium.
- Life Member of Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science
- Act as a reviewer in an International Journal.
- Invited book chapter on first update of “N-1,1-dimethylethylbenzenesulfenamide” in the Encyclopedia of Reagents in Organic Synthesis Edited by Philip Fuchs, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. (to be published soon).
- International journals: 17
- National journal: 01
Studies on Regioselectivity of Nitration of Coumarins with Cerium (IV) Ammonium Nitrate: Solid-State Nitration of 6-Hydroxycoumarins on Montmorillonite K-10 Clay Support under Microwave Irradiation, N.C. Ganguly, M. Datta, P. De, R. Chakravarty, Synth. Commun., 2003, 33 (4), 647-659.
2-(2-Hydroxyphenyl)-1,3-dithiane, A. Usman, H.-K. Fun, N.C. Ganguly, M. Datta, K. Ghosh, Acta Cryst., 2003, E59, o773-o775.
Ecofriendly Solid-State Oxidative Deprotection of 1,3-Dithianes and 1,3-Dithiolanes Using Ammonium Persulfate on Wet Montmorillonite K-10 Clay Support Under Microwave Irradiation, N.C. Ganguly, M. Datta, Synlett, 2004, 659-662.
Oxidative Deprotection of Oximes, Phenylhydrazones and Semicarbazones Using Pyridinium Chlorochromate in Catalytic Amount with t-Butyl Hydroperoxide and in the Solid state on Montmorillonite K-10 Clay Support Under Microwave Irradiation, N. C. Ganguly, M. Datta, P. De, J. Indian Chem. Soc., 2004, 81, 308-312.
Mild and Eco-friendly Oxidative Cleavage of 1,3-Dithianes and 1,3-Dithiolanes with Catalytic Amount of Hydrobromic Acid and Hydrogen Peroxide: Synergetic Effect of Bromonium Ion Equivalent and Hydrogen Peroxide, N. C. Ganguly, M. Datta, J. Chem. Res., 2005, 218-221.
Solid-state Regioselective Nitration of Activated Aromatics and Hydroxycoumarins with Cerium (IV) Ammonium Nitrate,N. C. Ganguly, S. Dutta, M. Datta, P. De, J. Chem. Res., 2005, 733-735.
Urotropine: a Unique Scaffold in Molecular Recognition for Phenolic Substrates, K. Ghosh, M. Datta, R. Fröhlich, N.C. Ganguly, J. Mol. Struct., 2005, 737, 201-206.
Functional Self-assembly of Hydrogen-bonded Network of Hydroxyphenyl-1,3-dithianes, N. C. Ganguly, M. Datta, K. Ghosh, A. D. Bond, CrystEngComm., 2005, 7 (34), 210-215.
Mild and efficient deprotection of allyl ethers of phenols and hydroxycoumarins using palladium charcoal catalyst and ammonium formate, N. C. Ganguly, S. Dutta, M. Datta, Tetrahedron Lett., 2006, 47, 5807-5810.
N,N-Dibenzylmethanesulfonamide, M. Datta, A. J. Buglass, C. S. Hong and J. H. Lim, Acta Cryst., 2008, E64, o1235.
N-Phenyladamantane-1-sulfinamide, M. Datta, A. J. Buglass, C. S. Hong and J. H. Lim, Acta Cryst., 2008, E64, o1393.
N-Phenyl-tert-butanesulfinamide, M. Datta, A. J. Buglass and M. R. J. Elsegood, Acta Cryst., 2009, E65, o2034.
N-(4-Methoxyphenyl)-tert-butanesulfinamide, M. Datta, A. J. Buglass and M. R. J. Elsegood, Acta Cryst., 2009, E65, o2823.
N-(3-Methoxyphenyl)-tert-butanesulfinamide, M. Datta, A. J. Buglass and M. R. J. Elsegood, Acta Cryst., 2010, E66, o109.
Hydrolysis of N-Phenylalkanesulfinamides in Aqueous Mineral Acids, M. Datta, A. J. Buglass and John G. Tillett, Phosphorus, Sulfur, and Silicon, 2011, 186, 565-573.
Fast and Efficient Synthesis of Sulfinamides by the Oxidation of Sulfenamides Using Patassium Fluoride and m-Chloroperoxybenzoic Acid, M. Datta and A. J. Buglass, Synth. Commun., 2012, 42, 1760-1769.
Acid-Catalyzed Hydrolysis of Some N,N-Dibenzylalkanesulfinamides in 50% Acetonitrile-Water, M. Datta and A. J. Buglass, Phosphorus, Sulfur, and Silicon, 2013, 188, 691-700.
Synthesis, crystal structures and non-bonded S∙∙∙S contacts with O-H∙∙∙O / O-H∙∙∙S hydrogen bonds in isomeric hydroxyphenyl-1,3-dithianes, M. Datta, A. D. Hunter and M. Zeller, J. Sulfur Chem., 2013, 34, 502-511.